Thursday, April 12, 2007

Hand rolled



I was a touch hungover on my first night back in Exeter for Easter. Sushi is a very soothing kind of dish for someone in such a state. It was so balming in fact that I began to enjoy natto for the first time. If you know what natto is and you are not Japanese then you probably know that you do not like it, but I think I am making my first steps towards becoming a fan. These fermented soya beans are quite something to both look at and, more importantly, to lift with your chopsticks for they are... ahem... slightly snotty in texture. Actually, I've just learned that 'sticky' is a more polite way of saying this.

All this is to stray somewhat off the main point, which is that S prepared a real feast for us, with, as the pictures show, a serving dish with avocado, cucumber, cress, cheddar, lettuce, egg and asparagus, as well as the natto, alongside nori for rolling, mayonnaise, soy and wasabi. Extremely carefully-prepared, simple Japanese food such as this becomes more and more appealing to me over time, so much so that I wonder if I have now opened up a part of my brain/tastebuds which craves more and more Japanese foods and is going to offer me even more pleasure as I come to understand the subtleties of Japanese preparations of food.

No comments: