Sunday, September 30, 2007

What do you do when someone suggests eating somewhere you don't fancy overmuch?



This was the dilemma I faced last night after going to see a movie with some friends at the Renoir at the Brunswick Centre. Fortunately the restaurant dilemma was a minor concern because we had a just watched an extremely disturbing film - Yella - and my I was, frankly, just relieved to be out of the cinema and in a cosy environment where the strangeness of the film cold dissipate as we dissected it over some food and beers. This was how I ended up back at the Hare and Tortoise, and this was no bad thing, for once in there I remembered why I hadn't liked it the first time, which was chiefly because they had brought me the wrong dish, and on a night of terribly slow service I had accepted this substitution, even though the vegetable and rice bowl I had was terribly dull. A return visit offered the possibility of getting my original pick from the menu, which was some kind of vegetable and rice bowl flavoured with chillis and satay sauce. The waitress warned me that it'd be pretty spicy which elicited some kind of 'bring it on' comment from me, for the food was terribly bland last time, and it was not nearly as spicy as I would have liked, but for less than a fiver, this was an impressively hearty bowl of pretty tasty food, and I'd be tempted to go back and have that and a pint of Kirin on a night when I felt I really needed warming up. We ordered many sides and starters as well - gyoza, spring rolls, edamame, fried tofu - and all were pretty decent, though I think that there is a general problem in the place with a slightly shabby service culture and a pack-'em-in mentality which, while understandable at the prices they charge, is not shared by all places at this price point.

No comments: