Monday, February 12, 2007

Chips+



Having tried some of London's best-known chippies - like Fryer's Delight on Theobald's Road and North Sea on Leigh Street - tonight it was the turn of Master's Super Fish on Waterloo Road. Some might question the right of a non-fish-eating vegetarian to pass judgement on fish and chip shops, but I like to think that my chip conoisseurship and willingness to explore the margins of chippy's menus somewhat compensate for this in a small way. Given that MSP is pretty close to the river, I should really have walked down to eat my chips near the London Eye, but a long day's hunger got the better of me and I ended up with a table for one on a small wall on a pretty grotty street nearby. One of the big attractions of MSP was hearing that they made there own pickles and I'd say that their pretty gigantic pickled gherkin was probably the highlight of the meal: crunchily hard on the outside and then pleasingly soft and juicy as you bit in. The coleslaw shown in the photo, also hom-made, was also excellent. The chips were not at all bad, but I'm not sure that they're much better than any old chippy, and the pickled onion was a bit rough. Still, with a can of Rubicon Guanabana this was a pretty good al fresco dinner British style.

No comments: