Thursday, February 15, 2007

Still life with whisky


All that talk of integrity and so on inspired me to pour myself a wee glass of what, for me, is the king of all whiskies: Bowmore, from Islay. As I write this I'm trying to identify the different tastes that it offers and have thus far come up with tobacco (or burnt wood), seaweed, grapefruit and sherry. As someone who has a pretty rubbish palate, I'm quite pleased with this little list as it proves that people must be right when they say that whisky has a much more complex set of tastes and aromatics than wine. I'll resist the temptation to pour myself a few more glasses and see what further whsiky widsom I can offerr my bolg..

2 comments:

Number 7 said...

I beg to differ - Bruichladdich is certainly more of a king than Bowmore ever will be. I will never forget standing outside the Bruichladdich brewery, looking at a stream of golden water, running over the peaty earth that gives it life.

WG said...

As we know, blind tastings are the only way to solve such debates!