Thursday, February 22, 2007

Where am I?


A question referring to both my state of mind and the accompanying photo. The question applies to my mood as I've been hit quite a spacey, if mild, form of flu, which is getting on my nerves (Edo-san also has it many miles away and we are agreed that we are becoming "angry men" whilst not able to exercise...), and it also refers to the photo of sushi: is this from Japan or London? The reason that I ask is that I think that Number7's kitchen looks pretty Japanese in this photo and the sushi she kindly provided, from Wasabi on Oxford Street, was the amongst the most Japanese-tasting sushi I've had in Londinium (it certainly made Yo!'s sushi, which we like, seem like a very Anglicized version). The photo shows trays of rolls, salads, ginger boxes and a couple of plum ngiri. Everything was excellent and common features were a serious, salty taste of the sea, plenty of egg, as would be the case in Japan, and liberal sprinklings of sesame seeds, chilli and seaweed, as well as seemingly "untraditional" ingredients like lettuce, which seems very much like food in Japan as it is now. On looking at this feast, I knew right from the start that the thing which I would save to the end, on account of it being the best, was the asparagus and mayonnaise roll, which is in the penultimate row of the left-hand box. Without wanting to crow, I was right because it had that oh-so-luscious smoothness and mildness which is so yummy about Japanese food.

In returning to the spacey dislocation theme, in writing about sushi, I can at least console myself with the fact that things were worse for The Vapors, when they sang:

Everyone around me is a total stranger
Everyone avoids me like a cyclone ranger
That's why I'm turning Japanese
I think I'm turning Japanese
I really think so

Here's hoping to say sayonara to spacey-flu soon, and konichiwa to Wasabi again some time soon.

4 comments:

Number 7 said...

What is it about men and exercise? Men always go on and on about how they feel so frustrated and angry when they don't do any exercise. I just don't geddit.

WG said...

I suspect that Merovingian may weigh in on this topic! If not, I'll tell you in person!

Number 7 said...

Is it the build up of some chemical in the brain, that is directly proportionate to the time since the last exercise session? And does this chemical lead to this 'angry man' syndrome? And how long does the euphoria, of having taken part in exercise, last? Please enlighten me.

Merovingian said...

The Merovingian doesn't suffer anger when forcibly denied gym time. He suffers mild frustration and disappointment when ill or injured. These sensations diminish with time. True rage only occurs during exercise. Any man or woman swimming breast-stroke in the fast lane has purchased a one way ticket to damnation. Youths wearing shorts, who push off just in front of me, are only fractionally more innocent. Ladies with dry hair are also not safe. But that has little to do with anger.