Friday, May 4, 2007

The challenge of not knowing


It's pretty rare that one bites into something with no idea how it will taste, but this happened to me the other night when I cooked some rice with a 'rice mix' of spices brought back from Kyushu in Japan by the Merovingians. I could tell that it was going to be pretty hot because it had a bright red chilliness but beyond that I had no clue as to how it would taste, nor what the other ingredients were, most especially the little ball like things. I'm not quite sure if they had actually eaten this in Japan or whether it was similar to things they had eaten, but the ingredients were all in Japanese so there were no clues there at all. I'd love to be able to say that I loved it to be bits but I didn't and wonder how much of that came from not having any clue as to what the mix contained. The more I think about it, it was quite a memorable dish and worth cooking for that alone but I think I need a bit more education on southern Japanese spices before venturing into the unknown again.

No comments: