Monday, May 14, 2007

Ze truffe



"Ze truffe eez ze aromateeeque mushhhh-rhooommm" as that Belgian dude who appears on Gordon Ramsay's "Hell's Kitchen" once informed b and me in Verre in Dubai. I had meant to buy amazing basil from Gazzano so as to make fresh pesto but, in its absence, I cooked some raviolini with white truffles which were pretty damn fine. You could smell the truffle in the cold pasta and it was rolled into some suitably mild soft cheese inside the raviolini. I served it simply with olive oil and salt, but could be tempted by perhaps making a buttery, herbal sauce next time around, or perhaps adding some soft cheese and peas or broad beans. With some home-made garlic bread and a salad of excellent wild rocket, mozarella and cherry toms, this was one of the better meals I'd cooked in a while, thanks to the super ingredients from Clerkenwell's best neighbourhood deli.

No comments: