Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Top 10 dishes

Coming up with the top 10 dishes of the year ain't easy by any means, and there are some great things which have missed out on the list, but writing this makes me excited about food, about continuing blogging and enjoying good things with people in 08. Here we go:

10. Ricotta, pea, olive oil and rock salt salad: Ok, I made it for myself, but damn! if this isn't one of the finest summery combinations you can imagine. Ricotta from Olga's, olive oil and salt from Sainsies, peas from the market, and a happy walk home to make this.
9. Marine Ices: I just love Marine Ices, most especially the chocolate ice cream, especially when eaten on a bench on Hampstead Heath.
8. Pecorino Tartufo di Toscana from Gazzano's: truffled pecorino... feels weak at knees.
7. Tart of onion and thyme with hollandaise, Roxburghe House: classic cooking in the best wedding meal I've ever had I think.
6. Cafe Corfu spinach filo pie: Number7 recognised how amazingly good this was as we ate it, predicting that we would be back for more, and she's right that the memory of it is really sweet.
5. Dhal: The doctor's recipe is amazing - mustard seeds, I'm a believer.
4. Mr Falafel: great people, great philosophy, great felafel sandwiches.
3. St Moritz: the service may be a bit shabby but we know for sure that they make London's best version of the most regal of all cheese dishes.
2. Mish: a dish so good that you can forget about it and when you come back to it, it's like "Oh my God, this is amaaaazing!" Best thing on toast ever.
1. Doughnut Plant donut with coconut cream: the best doughnuts on the planet; almost mystically good, made by the man they call "the Don Quixote of doughnuts" who is pushing the envelope of deep-fried bakery products to new dimensions. I reckon I think about them more or less every week.

No comments: