Friday, March 30, 2007

Dem beans, dem beans


For the first time in quite a while I made my white beans, which seem to be regarded with most favoured status by b, k and others. After being slightly disappointed with my last effort, I took the trouble to soak butter beans over night this time around and I think this was the right thing to do. The cooking itself begins with frying off two onions in a very decent amount of butter, then adding a couple of sizeable cloves of garlic, then some white wine (or rose), mustard and a decent amount of salt. The cooked beans are then added to the mix and the dish is finished off with cream, and maybe a bit more butter. This is a certainly a dish that follows the Bourdain rules on emulating restaurant cooking in terms of its fattiness and while making it I'd avise channelling of Gary Rhodes, with his voice announcing "and we'll just finish the dish off with a liiiiiiiitttle bit of butter" (as he empties half a pack into the pan!).

No comments: