Friday, March 30, 2007

My favourite pub in London




If there is a better London pub to eat in than The Eagle, then I want to hear about it pronto. One hears vague chatter sometimes about how the "first gastropub" has gone downhill in its seventeen or so years of operation, but this is, quite frankly, bullshit. The Eagle is a wonderful example of an eating house which knows what it does, loves doing it and generates great happiness for its customers in doing so. In some ways I'm surprised that I feel so passionately about a meat-oriented operation which generally offers vegetarians only one main course, but every single dish I've eaten here has given me great pleasure: generous, rustic, smoky, rich cooking, served up with great wines and beers at decent prices in a buzzy evening atmosphere, or a dreamy afternoon vibe. Last night I had a plate of grilled vegetables (aubergine, red peppers, onions and artichokes) served with flatbread, that lacked only a pot of their fantastic aioli, together with a bottle of excellent Duoro (a stellar wine for £14). Akemi had a linguine of mackerel, lemon and chilli, which was adjudged to be 'muy picante', and 'muy rico'. The bill for two, with wine and a tip and tap water, was £33. I'll be back, and back and back, I hope.

No comments: