Saturday, October 13, 2007

Cy Twombly never fails to rock my world



If you're going to pay...
but hang on, some backstory: today began with a swim outdoors at Hampstead, after which you feel really quite awake, and then continued in the British Library, where I managed to hit my word target for the day in just four hours. Some hurrahs later I found myself in the new pop art exhibition at the Gagosian which, at the risk of hyperbole, is one of the greatest exhibitions of modern art I've ever seen, and it is but two streets away from me, so I will go back and back and back. And then a bit later I was walking towards Islington to buy fruit and vegetables and on this day of great London things, I thought I'd pop into Paul A. Young, chocolatier

So, if you're going to pay £2.75 for a chocolate brownie - in a city where every single cake shop seems to make them - you know that you have to go "Sweet Jesus" as you bite into it. Luckily Paul A. Young came up trumps and this was one of the deepest and most satisfyingly rich cakes I've had in a long time. As readers of this blog know, that includes a fair sample of cakes. In truth the brownie is so rich and so heavy that it would make a great treat for two, but since I had a feeling that I had a cold coming on, I figured that the extra chocolate was probably medicinal in my case. I bought some chocs too, though I'll save them for another day...

No comments: