Sunday, January 21, 2007

Cream Puffs


Are cream puffs a good thing? This is a question which seems to have taken hold of the London food blogosphere in recent days and I felt duty-bound to also head down to Beard Papa's on Oxford Street to discover how I felt about cream puffs. This is the first European branch of a Japanese cream puff empire and you can tell that they take it pretty seriously by the fact that: a) bar a few soft drinks and occasional flavours of the day, they only sell one thing, which is the original vanilla cream puff, and b) the customer service ethos is very Japanese, right down to the greetings which you get in Japanese. There was quite a queue, which provided a good opportunity to watch the team at work, baking the puffs, inserting a cream nozzle into the cooled puffs, preparing them for sale, and then packing them up.
As cream puffs go I imagine them to be pretty good and it's a fun, destination cakery, but I'm not sure I'll have another one before I have a Belgian Bun from Gregg's, and I can't feel the same way about them that I do about Cinnabon - now there's a foreign cake frnachise which would send Londoners wild.

No comments: