Saturday, January 20, 2007

Goin' to the Chapel



I feel very lucky that I live near Chapel Market in Islington because it's one of the best street markets around and the kind of thing that London does especially well, because it offers all kinds of good-quality fruits and vegetables at excellent prices (I've found that its getting harder and harder to find such markets outside London). It's just around the corner from a huge Sainsbury's which is also full of fruit and veg with the kind of packaging, posters and fact-sheets on going organic which allows them to charge 50-100% more than the market stalls around the corner, which really do offer seasonality, goods from local producers, and the kind of market-banter (oo'll give me a nugget for this pair o' pineapples then?) which appeals to me.
Just along from the market is Olga's, one of a series of excellent, traditional Italian delis in the Islington/King's X/Clerkenwell area. It's quite pricey but the ricotta is really high quality and keenly-priced at £4.50 a kilo. In summer a pretty perfect dish for me would be chunks of ricotta with quick-boiled broad beans or peas, with plenty of olive oil and rock salt. I've had to save that thought and served it today with avocado, oilve oil and finely-chopped chillis and spring onions. Not nearly as good and a bit too fussy but I'm always happy to make ricotta the centre-piece of a meal. For a long time it was a cheese on which I didn't really have an opinion (say that ain't so I hear you cry...), but, with some tutoring, I have really come to love its subtle, luscious charms.

No comments: