Saturday, January 20, 2007

We hope...



I blame Tasty Treats. Before moving to London I would not have believed that my core allegiance on the chip-front could shift from proper fish-and-chip-shop-chips to anything else, yet six months in Shepherd's Bush living on the same road as the aforementioned TTs turned me on to the charms of super-salty, crispy frozen chips. It's a hard thing to say, it seems almost wrong to admit that you've switched your loyalty from something actually made from potatoes to something kind of cardboard-y that may once have been acquainted with them.
On moving to King's Cross I was on the look-out for a new chip haunt and, in spite of being in striking distance of North Sea and The Tasty Fryer - two of London's best real chip shops, I am now smitten with Pearl. As the picture reveals it looks like any other cheapo kebab shop (with the excellent Prince Albert next door - more on that soon), but tasting is believing and I have now recruited a number of other acolytes into my chip cult. The usp of Pearl is their sauces, most especially the yoghurt, garlic and mint number. Big dollops of that, with a little fresh chilli sauce on the side, whips even mayo and ketchup. The second picture shows a "chip plate" with chillis, salad and olives.

No comments: