Monday, July 16, 2007

Dish of the year


A wedding is not generally a place where you expect to eat something which you'd seriously consider as one of your dishes of the year, yet that was what happened to me not once but twice at Louise and Craig's wedding at the Roxburghe House Hotel in the Scottish Borders. Now I should say I was in quite a good mood at the time of the meal in that the setting was lovely, the wedding itself was fun and I was on a table full of old friends. I had probably had quite a few glasses of Pimms too. Yet I'm pretty damn sure that the cooking was of the highest standard and of a level you would be very happy to eat in a really smart restaurant. Achieving that level of expertise when catering for scores of people must be really tough and while I've noticed that wedding food has got much, much better lately, this was a step beyond even the very good because, as I said, two of the dishes were really outstanding.

The first was the starter which was a tart of onion and thyme with hollandaise sauce. Now I love tarts and I love all the ingredients listed here but what really made this dish was the quality of the cooking of all the individual ingredients (superbly made pastry, onions cooked just so and creamy, frothy hollandaise) and the way that they came together really deliciously on the fork. This was followed by soem decent ravioli with spicy tomato and aubergine and then, a true stand-out of a pudding consisting of a chocolate mousse, a white chcolate version and a rum ice. The rum was rubbish frankly but the two mousses were amongst the riches dishes I've ever eaten in my life and all the better for it. The white chocolate version tasted like chilled clotted cream mixed with butter and white chocolate, and then whipped smooth - and I mean that in a very good way indeed.

Menu here: http://www.roxburghe.net/hotel/restaurant/dining.html

No comments: