Sunday, July 29, 2007

I may have said this before


But have I told you how much I like the combination of Waitrose's Grand mange pain rustique and Bridel Breton butter with salt flakes? I try not to buy bread these days because I know how terrible I am with it and since Otis doesn't seem keen on it, it's not like I can pretend that it'll end up anywhere than round my midriff. God, that sounds a bit sad and diet-y, but I'm sure that you know what I mean, and anyhow this post is intended as a celebration of bread and butter. One of the best things about the grand pain, as you might guess, is its size, for it is truly a ginormous loaf of bread and nae bad value at £1.50 or so. I wouldn't say that it's an exceptional loaf but it does have a nice roughness to it and a pleasing contrast between the tough exterior and the pillowy insides. As for Bridel, it's a butter studded with flakes of sea salt. Um, er, I'm not sure what's not to like about that.

No comments: