Tuesday, July 10, 2007


It would happen when I was walking down the street, when I was sat on the tube, when I was trying to write... that nagging feeling in my throat and in my brain that said: Indian food, Indian food, you need Indian food. I cannot actually remember when I last had Indian food, so I was very pleased with b's suggestion of Diwana on Drummond Street. They have a £6.50 lunchtime buffet which is rightly very popular and I wish I still had a camera so that you could see the wonder of my plate which was piled with, amongst other things: a poppadom, kulcha, raita, saag aloo, saag paneer, many fresh chutneys, chana masala, okra in tomato sauce, rice, bhajees and much more... The part of me that is not embarassed by the sheer quantity of food on my plate would also have liked to have weighed so that I might regale you with the stunning amount I ate. It was good too, well-spiced, a nice bit of heat and all super-fresh, from the good quality spinach to an onion, tomato and cucumber chutney which had evidently just been made. Tap water was served as a matter of course and was refilled often and more discreetly than would be the case in most flash restaurants. Now, how long before that hunger for Indian food comes on again?

No comments: