Saturday, November 24, 2007

Perhaps losing weight isn't so bad after all


Earlier this week I may have given the impression that my having lost weight was something of a personal tragedy. On reflection, and having viewed a lot of photos of me when I was tubby, it is quite nice to have lost weight, and while I still conflicted about the importance of all these things, in a simple way it does feel good to be lighter. After writing earlier in the week, one thing that I did notice was that in spite of all my proclamations about learning to disassociate guilt from food, I felt really bad about having a pizza for lunch on Thursday and then having a massive dinner. I convinced myself that this was the start of a slippery slope and I was back to being fat, which is rather an extreme reaction to one day of gorging, but I just don't know if I'll ever be the kind of person who can be svelte-ish and have a guilt-free relationship with food. In the meantime, I'll try and enjoy having just one chin, and places like my fave riverside pub in the picture (the Angel in Bermondsey).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since when is losing weight a personal tragedy if you're carrying around 48 spare cans of Coke? More of this pseudo-rubbish and I'll report you to the Arlington Road Common Sense Committee - i.e. Dad.

Anonymous said...

For the first time in ages it looks like the brothers are all pretty trim. There's always the fear of doing an Oprah, but I think it takes some effort to put on weight quickly. I managed to put on 7lbs in two weeks in Mexico. It was a massive effort to do this and is not something I could easily replicate. I've slipped back into my pre-diet routine. Giant portions of carbohydrate followed by ice-cream. But then I've also run over 30 miles this week. It’s a win-win situation. I love to run and I love to eat lots. I admit losing weight is hard work, but keeping an even keel is easy so long as you love exercise. Even if you are a bit overweight it is medically better to be a fit fat man than an unfit thin man. As a Weight Watchers Gold Member I will capitulate that losing weight is easier for some than others. Young men who exercise loads and are fiercely competitive about the weekly weigh-in will shrink exponentially faster than the average Weight Watcher (repeat) customer.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately one of the brothers is no longer a lean machine. Went swimming with the Fly today and I was up an incredible 8kgs from two months ago. Ouch.

"Eat moderately, I do. Excerice moderately, I do. That way the path to hot body for long time lies." (Frank Oz)