Sunday, November 25, 2007

Take me to the border



To Tortilla with Number7 to celebrate a very successful week at work for her after quite a number of months of great effort preparing for an inspection. Some time ago she had noted that a Tex-Mex war had broken out on Upper St as two new places had opened up within months of each other, and last night we tried Tortilla, which is reputed to be winnng the battle of the bandidos.

This was an especially good choice as only this week I was thinking to myself how much I had enjoyed eating at Chilli's in the Emirates, and how nice it would be to have a no-nonsense Tex-Mex diner me. Well now I've got one! It is very much a diner or cafe rather than a restaurant, with utilitarian benches and a fast-food style counter, but it's a far from unpleasant place to be (the walls could lose the red paint I guess), especially once you've started to eat. I had a large burrito (£5.50) full of black beans, Spanish rice, cheese, guacamole, sauteed peppers and onions, and some truly delicious hot sauce. It was a monster dish and went straight to the part of the soul that deals with food. On the side we had nachos, some very good guacamole (you could see the evidence of it having been made with real fruit) and some super sour cream. Drinks were Diet Coke and Sprite, with bottomless cups from the self-service machine, which also had an ice dispenser (fun!). I can't think of much else to say about the food other than that it was just damned delicious and it really is a pretty fantastic addition to the suddenly burgeoning Mexican dining scene in London.

Afterwards we went to see Women of Troy at the National (more on this once b has been) and saw the nifty neon display on the South Bank.

No comments: