Friday, June 1, 2007

Five months in

Well, it may have been sporadic at times, but I am now five months into this blog with 88 posts in the bag, which just about hits my target of a few posts a week. Admittedly January was the top month in terms of number of posts, and May the worst thus far, but I shall try hard to make sure that I come close to matching or beating January's total.

As I lay in bed this morning, I thought it might be a good idea to go back to my hit-list of restaurants from January, to see which ones I'd managed to visit, which I still had a passion to get to, and which new must-go places had appeared on my radar since then. So, first up, the places I'd wanted to go to and have now visited are: Neal's Yard, Master's Superfish, Tbilisi and the Monmouth Coffee Company. While Master's Superfish was just so-so, all three of the others were top-notch and I'm sure I'll return to all of them. Of the names on my original list that I still have a real passion for visiting, I'd cite Locanda Locatelli, the famous toasted cheese sandwich guy at Borough, New Malden and Vinoteca. I'd also now like to add Hot Stuff (a very spicy Indian in Vauxhall, recommended by SLN), Falafel King (a joint on the Portobell Road where I've had some great home-made lemonade but never actually visited at lunch time, which needs to be rectified as the felafel look damn good), Tea Smith ( a tea-tasting bar in Spitalfields that apparently has a reputation for converting people into tea drinkers... we'll see... but it looks a great place: http://londonfood.typepad.com/stuff/2007/05/high_tea.html) and Acorn House, the much-hyped, Observer new restaurant of the year, just around the corner from me, described by that ass Giles Coren as the "most important restaurant to open in London in the last two hundred years" - I feel more and more of a grouse every time I see that shit on a billboard outside the place, but must give the retsaurant a go as it probably is fantastic.

No comments: