Sunday, June 24, 2007

Warwick - who knew?



The last time I was taken to Warwick, I was apparently an especially truculent guest. On being taken round Warwick Castle, I apparently announced that I was bored and decreed that we could only visit one more of its boring rooms before heading off. I don't know why I'm writing about this as though these things are mere allegations for I remember my rudeness quite clearly! Anyhow, back we went to Warwick this weekend and what a revelation the place is: a truly special Norman and medieval church at St Mary's, lots of lovely Tudor buildings, walks by the river, and a traditional old market where I was able to buy some 'Afterburn' cheddar: packed full of red and green peppers, garlic and red chilli; just the thing for a Ploughman's or a baked potato.

In the evening we almost went to Pizza Express, but then we chanced on a place called Catalan which served tapas until 8pm, which was perfect for us. We went for some excellent patatas bravas, a mild manchego (a good one I thought), some espenicas a la catalana (not as good as Catalan creamed spinach for me), a vegetarian paella (nae bad), some so-so garlic mushrooms and some really excellent olives. A very nice place, pleasant service and a courtyard garden, so I'd certainly go back for dinner if ever I were in Warwick again. I may well be back because more and more I'm coming to see that in spite of the veil of prejudice that lies over the Midlands, it is in fact a pretty wonderful part of Britain, full of some really beautiful historic towns and countryside.

No comments: