Friday, June 15, 2007

Fondue


In the period when I lost my camera, I went to a number of places which I've now remembered deserve blog entries (lucky them!). The first of these is City Limits, a wine bar on the wonderful Brushfield Street: wonderful in that it provides the best view of Hawksmoor's Christ Church Spitalfields. The resto is a cosy cellar and we were lucky to have a nook in the wall which meant the neither b nor I had our backs exposed (I have also begun to acquire the dislike of exposed seating where waiters and customers brush past you all evening, and this is definitely now a real factor in restaurant reviewing as far as I'm concerned - for I still think of the magnificent spacing between tables at Pearl in Holborn, and also of the generous ones like Number7 who don't seem to mind being in the tricky seats). Anyhow, enough of this blah and onto the food. We had a fondue for two which was too titchy and not alcoholic enough - in fact, b rightly observed that it was quite possible that it had been made without wine and kirsch. They mistakenly brought us vegetables, as well as bread, to dip in the fondue, and didn't charge us, which was nice, as was the apple pie we shared, but overall we felt this to be a step down from St Moritz. As well as the food, b v kindly treated us to a good bottle of Muscadet, and I wouldn't want to give the impression that this isn't a fun resto, because it certainly is; it's just that fondue is a demanding dish and you gotta get it just right to really succeed.

No comments: