Thursday, June 28, 2007

On stir fries


Recently I've found myself cooking myself into a right rut, as often tends to happen if you don't cook for others. Evening after evening has featured rice or couscous, along with various vegetables, cheese and sometimes yoghurt. Quick, easy, sometimes tasty, and borrrrrring after a while. In truth the only one of these meals that really worked was couscous with field mushrooms, cheddar and yoghurt. Now that was tasty, but only because the mushrooms were excellent and they cooked really nicely in some butter.

Anyhow, I have decided to work my way out of my rut and am making a stir fry this evening. Back when I really couldn't cook, I coud make quite a nice stir fry, but somehow learning to cook has led to me messing up stir fries when I've tried them. Hmmm, perhaps I really couldn't make a nice one back in the day.

So my ingredients tonight are: garlic, ginger, fennel fronds (sounds good doesn't it - in truth they were the only bits of fennel that hadn't gone off), spring onions, aubergine, carrot and red pepper. Who knows whether this will work. My soy sauce is Kikoman, so that should cover some ineptness, but in truth I am pretty convinced that the dish will turn out to be filling but rubbish. I am semi-tempted to use some tomato puree, but perhaps that would be a bad idea? Chilli sauce seems like a better idea. Hmmmm. Shit, I've now discovered that I don't have any oil of any kind - surely a prerequisite for a stir fry.

Suffice it to say that the finished product looked nothing like the photo above...

In fact, now that I've finished dinner, I can honestly say that my stir fry was disgusting. The only good thing about it was chucking it in the bin and having some avocado on toast instead. I vow from hereonin to only eat stor fries cooked by those who know how to cook 'em.

No comments: